I ”clipped and saved” this recipe from a Bonnie Stern column in the National Post years ago and I just got around to trying the recipe last week – the clipping is so old it is now yellow and brittle – makes me feel old. Anyway, I’m glad I saved the recipe – it was fantastic. My husband, who rarely “gushes” over food was all over this dish. This tart is great for lunch or a light dinner with soup or salad, or to make ahead and serve as an appetizer when entertaining. The beauty of this recipe is that you can make it as complicated or easy as you want. No time to make the pastry – no problem – just pick some puff pastry – the PC brand even comes already rolled out for you. But, don’t let the pastry scare you, especially if you have an extra 5 – 10 minutes - it’s not that hard to made, and you’ll be rewarded with the tastiest tart and the pride to say you made it all yourself!
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup ice water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 1/2 tbsp butter
Once again thank you Martha. Each time I receive a new copy of Everyday Food, I vow this month I will make all the awesome sounding recipes.
So far I have made one, but the month is young (well actually it hasn’t even started yet!). This recipe is from from the September issue. It was really really good!
When picking up puff pastry, I highly recommend PC Brand. It is already rolled out in the perfect shape, and lined with parchment, so all you have to do is unroll it and form a lip around it!
2-3 leeks (white and pale green parts only, sliced 1/4″ thick)
1 tbsp unsalted butter
2 tbsp sour cream or Greek yogurt
2 tsp grainy mustard
3/4 lb tomatoes (cherry, grape, field etc). Cut in half or sliced
2 tbsp chopped basil
2 ounces goat cheese crumbled
- Defrost puff pastry, form into a 12″ square on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Make a lip around the edges. Preheat oven to 400F.
- Melt butter, cook leeks till very soft (5min), do not undercook, or they will be tough.
- Mix sour cream or yogurt with mustard, and spread on puff pastry. Top with cooked leeks, layer chopped/sliced tomatoes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 25min, till golden and puffy. Top with goat cheese and basil.
- Cut into pieces and serve.