This recipe is what I refer to as an “all-rounder” – it is perfect for entertaining, is great for feeding a large group, can be made ahead of time, tastes even better after sitting in the fridge for a day, and the kicker – it’s easy to make. It’s basically shredded chicken with roasted peppers and a lovely vinaigrette dressing. It can be served on a bun or as-is with some sides. My Mom saw Giada make this on her show one day and was so intrigued that she went straight to the store, bought some rottiserie chicken and made the recipe from memory from the show. So, this is a recipe from Everyday Italian, but I may be missing a few things, as my recipe is from my Mom’s memory – tastes great either way!
- One 2 lbs roasted chickens, shredded (rotisserie supermarket chicken works well – see note below)
- 2 cups roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup red vinaigrette dressing (see below)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Fresh crusty buns
Mix shredded chicken together with chopped red peppers, onion and red wine vinaigrette dressing. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve on fresh crusty buns.
Red vinaigrette dressing
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/8 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
Combine first 5 ingredients in food processor or with emulsion blender. With food processor running, add olive oil and blend until emulsified.
- This recipe can easily be doubled to feed a large crowd. I usually use one chicken from Loblaws and have enough to feed at least 8 people – with healthy appetites.
- I usually use the roast chicken from Loblaws, however, for those who are interested, The Toronto Star recently rated rotisserie chicken, and ranked Sobey’s as the best of major Toronto chains. Sobey’s sells a free range, antibiotic-free chicken, unfortunately, the wholesome chicken is canceled out by the spice rub chalk full of chemicals (which is also used by the other supermarkets). But hey, if you’re eating well for the majority of time, you’re allowed to indulge and enjoy!